By now you probably have figured out that I’m a big believer in just being yourself in your business and your life. There are plenty of coaching gurus who tell you to “fake it till you make it”. I am not that person. Lean into the “real” you, the you want to be, all the time. Go for it 51% of the time. WAIT, WHAT!!
Yes 51%, it’s really hard to be anything 100% of the time…..well, it is for me. So here is my advice, just be yourself and when you get scared know that it’s ok and be free with it. If no one has it all together ALL THE TIME, then how can you expect yourself to not falter once in a while. Admitting to ourselves and our audiences that we are in fact, REAL PEOPLE is the right way to lean in.
Their audience vs my audience.
Your own success won’t be based on other people’s businesses. Your success is directly correlated to the connections people can make with you, the ideas you create, and the way you market yourself. Take control of your own destiny and make your business choices based on what YOU feel is the right move.
Just because “Founder A” is talking to her high end demographic on CNN about X doesn’t mean you have to do the same. Yes, be aware of your competition and what they’re doing in their business but do things your own way.
Be original. Identify your target audience and their pain points. Research your ideal clients and where that audience can be found online. Ask them what types of products they would like to see or that they desperately need. Plan your content based on what your market can handle as opposed to your own monetary goals.
How can I connect more freely with an audience?
- GET PERSONAL. Share the parts about you that make you The more open and honest you are with your audience, the more they’ll connect with you. Don’t be afraid to show up as is, even on video.
- SHARE THOUGHTFUL + BALANCED CONTENT. Find your own balance between heartfelt and humor in your captions and stories. Vary it up between longer and shorter captions/videos to keep it interesting.
- SHARE WHAT YOU LOVE. Maybe the phrase “pick your niche and stick to it” feels like a trap, but it doesn’t have to. If you can create a super clear picture of what your brand is all about (messaging) and share on those things in depth with quality content you’re way more likely to connect to the people you actually want buying your products + services.
- BE CONSISTENT. This one doesn’t have to be overwhelming. Batch create your feed posts at the beginning of the week or month and set a timer on your phone for when to take a quick IG story video or image every day. The key to building any good relationship, whether in person or online, is to continually show up for them.
- ASSETS. You are a thought leader, an expert in your niche, but do you have the media kit to prove it? A solid media kit is 100% the best way to feature your credibility, expertise, show your connections to media, and reveal all you offer online. Check out Create your ROCKSTAR Media Kit in a Weekend. A step-by-step workbook that guides you through the process. This downloadable PDF provides everything you need in order to create your Rock Star Media Kit in just 8 simple steps. It includes templates, tips and tricks, and examples of what other people have done with their kits. You can use this kit as an example or customize it however you want!